Specific policy recommendations include:
- Require that Scottish salmon farms source all marine feed ingredients from unavoidable fishery by-products by 2025.
- Place a moratorium on the further expansion of the Scottish salmon aquaculture industry until the industry shows how it can operate without relying on wild fish for feed.
- Expand and enforce Scotland’s marine protected areas.
- Support trial of new bivalve farms in appropriate sites.
- Offer diverse locally-sourced seafood options through public sector catering.
Read the full report, Making Scottish farmed salmon sustainable Recommendations for policy-makers, here (PDF link). See also the Table explainer Food systems and contributions to other environmental problems and the Table blog post To eat fish or not to eat fish? That is the wrong question by Feedback’s Christina O’Sullivan.