This special issue of the journal Animal addresses scientific and technical approaches for reducing the environmental impacts of intensive and semi-extensive livestock production systems, plus challenges and trends over the next few decades.
The special issue contains the following papers:
- Editorial: Sustainable livestock systems for high-producing animals
- Review: Trends for meat, milk and egg consumption for the next decades and the role played by livestock systems in the global production of proteins
- Review: International trade in animal products and the place of the European Union: main trends over the last 20 years
- Review: Why and how to regulate animal production and consumption: The case of the European Union
- Review: Sustainable livestock systems: anticipating demand-side challenges
- Review: More effective linkages between science and policy are needed to minimize the negative environmental impacts of livestock production
- Review: Closing nutrient cycles for animal production – Current and future agroecological and socio-economic issues
- Review: Management of livestock behavior to improve welfare and production
- Review: Livestock disease resilience: from individual to herd level
- Review: Physiological growth trend of current meat broilers and dietary protein and energy management approaches for sustainable broiler production
- Review: What are the challenges facing the table egg industry in the next decades and what can be done to address them?
- Review: An overview of beef production from pasture and feedlot globally, as demand for beef and the need for sustainable practices increase
- Review: Improving the nutritional, sensory and market value of meat products from sheep and cattle
- Review: Perspective on high-performing dairy cows and herds
- Selective breeding as a mitigation tool for methane emissions from dairy cattle
- Review: Genetic selection of high-yielding dairy cattle toward sustainable farming systems in a rapidly changing world
- Review: Managing sheep and goats for sustainable high yield production
- Review: New feeds and new feeding systems in intensive and semi-intensive forage-fed ruminant livestock systems
- Review: Anticipating alternative trajectories for responsible Agriculture 4.0 innovation in livestock systems
Simões, J., Moran, D., Edwards, S., Bonnet, C., Lopez-Sebastian, A. and Chemineau, P., 2021. Sustainable livestock systems for high producing animals. Animal: an international journal of animal bioscience, Volume 15, Supplement 1.