- The CCaLC tool calculates carbon footprints (nb. This is a shorthand for CO2 eq footprints – ie. other greenhouse gases are also included) from 'cradle to grave'. It enables identification of carbon 'hot spots' and carbon reduction opportunities.
- In addition to carbon footprints, CCaLC also incorporates water footprint calculations to take into account water scarcity in different countries.
Other environmental impacts
- CCaLC also calculates other environmental impacts to show how they may be affected by any changes in the carbon footprint. These include acidification, eutrophication, ozone layer depletion, photochemical (summer) smog and human toxicity.
- CCaLC enables estimation of economic value added, to show the trade-offs between 'carbon added' and 'value added'. The cost of reducing carbon footprints can also be estimated.
Optimisation of carbon footprints
- CCaLC Optimiser enables identification of optimum low-carbon options at minimum costs.
Databases and Case studies
- A number of databases and case studies have been included in CCaLC which can be modified to suit the specific needs of the user. Databases include: materials, energy, transport, packaging and waste. Overall, there are over 5,500 data items included in the databases. The case studies include chemicals and relate products, food and drink, bio-feedstocks, biofuels and packaging.
If any FCRN members:
- Know of other tools that are also available and accessible please let me know and they can be added to the carbon footprinting tools section of the website. The Cool Farm Tool is already featured on the website (although it deals only with farm stage emissions).
- Are able to provide an assessment of the merits of different tools that would also be helpful - please add your comments here (you will need to log in to the website to do this using the user name and password you used to sign up to the FCRN in the first place. If you have forgotten your details, get in touch with us here).