The report “Transformation is feasible - How to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals within Planetary Boundaries”, produced by the Stockholm Resilience Centre, identifies five measures to reach the most Sustainable Development Goals within the planetary boundaries.
The five measures are:
- Accelerated renewable energy growth sufficient to halve carbon emissions every decade
- Accelerated productivity in sustainable food chains
- New development models in poor countries
- Unprecedented inequality reduction, and
- Investment in education for all, gender equality, health, family planning.
The report’s scenario for accelerated productivity in food chains includes reducing food waste, reducing overuse of fertilisers and pesticides, a shift towards more plant-rich diets, more direct links between producers and consumers, sensors for monitoring and management of crops and shops, better water management, and biogas and composting to avoid landfill and surface run-off.
Read more here. See also the Foodsource resource How might these challenges be addressed? and the paper A good life for all within planetary boundaries.
22 Oct 2018
Post a new comment »