The UK government’s Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA) has published a set of resources on “enabling a natural capital approach” (ENCA) to guide policymakers and decisionmakers.
The resources include:
- ENCA guidance showing how projects or policies can incorporate natural capital assessment
- An Excel ENCA assessment template for assessing natural capital impacts
- An ENCA services databook with 200 sources of evidence on ecosystem services such as food production, flood regulation and recreation and environmental impacts such as air pollution and noise
- An ENCA assets databook with UK data sources on natural capital categories, including farmland
- ENCA featured tools developed by DEFRA or its partners
- ENCA case studies
Read more here. See also the Foodsource chapter Food systems and contributions to other environmental problems.